Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vampires Suck (2)


FABIAN

My vampire life must be getting entirely too boring. A few minutes ago, I heard – or rather, I felt someone falling at my door. That doesn’t seem to happen every day so I rushed to see who it was and what he or she’s business might be.
To my surprise, it was just a clumsy young girl. She seemed to be still in highschool and at first I didn’t notice her nice features. Long wavy hair that reached her waist, the colour of honey, green eyes with the feeling of spring to them, full lips and rosy cheeks, it was a refreshing kind of beauty, one that loved to be bathed in the sun. I felt my lips curling in a smile as I realized the boxes around her meant she was moving in the empty apartment next door.
Yet, she didn’t like me from what I could tell. She didn’t even say a word as I carried the boxes for her. When I turned to face her, wanting to introduce myself, she seemed more than annoyed. Ugh, the vampire-go-away-crap. But I thought it was kind of fun watching her get mad at me for helping her, while she couldn’t understand her own feelings. I’ve witnessed such scenes so many times, none of which had bothered me in the slightest. Until now.
At least, I had the inspiration to leave before she could throw something at me.
So, I went back to listening to SOAD.
I could sense her anger at me even through the walls. It made me feel good in a perverse way. Was I thirsty for blood? No, of course not, I had just drunken some yesterday. Then, why did this girl remain in my thoughts?
I decided I didn’t care. I was bored, but not that bored.

the 8th of August, 2010

LAILA

Ahh, this is the life.
You know, I never thought of the benefits of living alone. I think If I had, I would have moved out a long time ago. Well, not exactly to this sort of place, but still. With dad, I could never sleep until afternoon and eat pizza for breakfast. Or listen to my iPod in the bath tub. Or paint the walls of my room. Anyway, you get the picture.
So, mostly, besides the fact that I have no idea where my father is or what he’s doing right now, I feel awesome. An independent woman, at last.
Okay, I can’t believe I just said – wrote that.
In his letter, dad said he would contact me later. He used to work for some secret agency I never bothered to ask about since he couldn’t exactly tell me about it. He actually met mom on one of his missions, this I know. During my childhood, we used to change homes a lot. It was fine while mom was alive, but it became a burden after she wasn’t there anymore. I mean, I became a burden to my dad. Or more specifically, to his job. So he quit.
Well, he didn’t exactly quit. In these kinds of jobs you can’t just retire whenever you want to. Especially when you know things. THINGS that others aren’t supposed to know. Dad had to change our identities after that and we settled in NY. Too obvious? Neah, you’d be surprised how people never bother to look for you in the most obvious hide-out places.
Ever since I was a little girl, I have been taught to obey orders. At least important ones, not the wash-the-dishes-or-you’re-grounded type of orders. I understood the gravity of things and the eventuality of us being discovered. And that’s why I can’t help feeling uneasy. The only reason why dad would do this to me is if we’ve been found out.
I am in no danger since I’m a civilian and everything. But dad is now branded as a traitor – and as you can see in all Hollywood movies – being a traitor has a price. A big one.
It would be nice to have someone to talk to. Someone who could grasp the situation and not just focus on the fact that I have been using a fake identity for the past 8 years. I mean, I only changed my surname. That’s not such a big deal. Other women do it all the time when they get married.
I didn’t have many friends back home. Not real friends, anyway. I wasn’t a hater or anything, but I just had this strange habit of spacing out.
Where was I? Oh, yeah, someone to talk to. At this point, I swear I’d talk to freaking Oprah. Anyone would do. Wait, anyone except that smug jerk that lives next to me. Speaking of which, I haven’t seen him or heard that loud music of his since the day after I moved in. It’s dead quiet. He couldn’t be, you know, dead, right? Suicide is a common occurrence in our days. But he didn’t quite strike me as the suicidal type, more like the homicidal one. And what reason would a guy with his looks have to end his life? Maybe that attitude of his.
Oh well, at least it’s quiet.

the 15th of August, 2010

LAILA

I’m honestly starting to wonder whether it will start to smell. You know, that horrid smell of a body in decay. Oh, well, I assume you don’t actually KNOW. Me either. But I’m expecting a strong smell to creep into my apartment soon now. Seriously.
It’s been two weeks. I haven’t heard the door open once. Since I stayed at home, except for short walks to the market, I am positively sure he hasn’t left the apartment at all. And these walls are paper thin, I think if I concentrated enough I could even hear him breathe.
Nothing, absolutely nothing. And I keep getting this weird vibe, you know, the kind that haunted houses give off. So now I’m sure I’m crazy. I’ve always been a sucker for Sci-Fi, but this is just way too much.
The dead can’t carry boxes, can they? And they sure as hell wouldn’t look like that. Argh, what is wrong with my brain cells? I’m actually obsessed with a guy I saw for only 5 minutes. And in the most morbid way, possible, too.
This is all because I don’t know anyone here. I’ve got to widen my horizons or next thing you know, I’ll end up flying off a building.
But is it normal for it to be so quiet???
Not in NY, it wasn’t. Sigh.

FABIAN

I can sense a very gloomy atmosphere from next door. Just what is that girl doing? I liked it better when the pot-smoking humans lived there. At least they “chilled” all the time. The energy they gave off was much more peaceful. Hers is chaotic. It makes me dizzy only by concentrating on it. What the hell is she doing??
Well, it’s not exactly like I can go there and ask her. She kind off hates my guts because of the whole vampire mojo. Every person I’ve encountered has quietly kept her distance from me after they’ve felt it. It’s just like being ignored in highschool, not so cool, but at least you get to mind your own business.
Anyway, the heat is even worse now. I think I barely went out off the house for these past two weeks. Except for some nights, when I broke into the blood bank. It’s really not that big of a deal. Hospitals are always so busy, they don’t even notice you’re not supposed to be there in the first place.
Uhm, I’ve ran out of reading material. Seems like tomorrow I’m going to have to come out of my cave. Yuppie. Great.

the 16th of August, 2010

FABIAN

7:00 – stop alarm by slamming clock into wall
7:10 – wake up due to inhumane screaming
7:11 – bang on crazy neighbor’s door to see what is wrong
7:15 – screaming increases
7:16 – bust down the damned door
7:16 – screaming stops abruptly
7:17 – large frying pan thrown into my face
Fortunately, I avoided it just in time. Yes, it was her. And yes, she was the one doing all that insufferable screaming.

LAILA

Oh , my God, I did not just see a rat, did I??
68**)^jkas&*62nassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Okay, so I left the newspaper on the keyboard.
I think this all must be a nightmare.
First, the rat. Of course I screamed like a kid at the dentist, there was a rat in my bathroom, for Heaven sake! But to think any man, no – any human being, would ever do that!
I have never been more shocked in my life. And it’s not because of the rat. I’ve seen them on TV before, so it’s not like I just discovered they exist. It’s because of the draft I am feeling since I am now lacking a DOOR!!!!!!

FABIAN

This little girl is driving me insane. She’s been going on and on for the last hour about how she is going to sue me. Sue me? Is she serious? Who wouldn’t have feared the worst with all that screeching?
I will pay for the stupid door. After all, stupidity has a price. That’ll teach me a lesson never to meddle in human affairs again. Especially the ones from this century.
But a frying pan? What the hell.

the 23rd of August, 2010

LAILA

He got the door fixed.

FABIAN

That delightful creature has stopped nagging me since I repaired her door.
Peace is once more settled in vampire land.


No comments: