Friday, September 17, 2010

Vampires Suck (1)



the 28th of July, 2010
FABIAN
Here goes.
19-year-old male, born in the suburbs of Bucharest, Romania. This all happened back in 1920. So how is it possible for me to be living in the year 2010? Time traveling, of course! Get real, how could that be possible here of all places in the world? Those things only happen in America.
Don’t mind the useless parts of my babbling, it’s just a habit of mine. Some people prefer walking for miles and miles, yet I prefer talking. And talking. And then some more talking. Anyway, what am I supposed to do after being around for almost a century? Learn how to levitate? Hell, no, not my style.
So, have you guessed yet? Want a clue? Think Dracula, blood and fangs. Just without the crazed look of insane hunger. Oh, and ten times more good looking. Or make that double?
Yes, I’m a modern vampire. Now, some of you girls out there might start squeaking. Stop that. NOW. I’ll hunt you down and make sure you never make a sound again. Hey, I don’t have a pulse, but my morals are intact. Vanity I can take, but not stupidity.
Mostly my days are boring. I don’t hunt the innocent. Nor do I sleep during the day and lurk during the night. I do prefer darkness though, but only because it helps me calm down my thoughts. I can eat real food. Occasionally, I go to the blood bank and steal some bags, but that’s all there is to it. No compelling. No seductive gaze. Just me and a plastic bag of red liquid.
I don’t know how I’ve been created and I have no recollection of the life I was leading before I turned into a vampire. I’ve met other vampires over the years, but they were all normal. Actually, they could pass for more normal than most people nowadays. Just so you know, we aren’t all that great.
Since we don’t have any vampire leader, don’t belong to a vampire community and I’m pretty sure there are no vampire churches either, I just wander through life, changing locations when people start to suspect the fact that I don’t age and look stunning when they’ve already grown a mustache.
I’m also a college student. I seriously despise people my own age (in human years). They are beyond dense and superficial. I try occupying my time with writing. Or so I did, up until now...
Oh, yeah, the name’s Fabian.
the 1st of August, 2010
FABIAN
It’s summer and I’m melting.
Not as in literally melting from being in the light, but as in – the temperature is the same as that in hell, if there is such a thing as hell. So, the accurate phrase is “I’m sweating like a vampire pig”. Not so sexy anymore, ey, Twilight-fans?
The air conditioner is on, but it’s merely taunting me. Sometimes I feel like throwing the damn thing out the window. Given the fact that I live in a small flat at the 2nd floor, the satisfaction wouldn’t be that great. Being able to fly or float or whatever like some vampires do in books, actually sounds good, no pretense here. But it’s impossible for me. Though, I’ve heard stories of some old vampires (old as in a thousand years of undead life experience) who were capable of flying and hypnotizing.
As tempting as it might be, I don’t want to live that much. I already am bored beyond my wits. I’ve heard that beheading would do the trick for my kind. I suspect it to be true, as well. All the other methods of killing a vampire are just made-up stories. I mean, do you actually believe garlic could be our worst enemy?
But anyway, it’s Sunday, so everybody’s out. It’s also very quiet since my pot-smoking-neighbors were raided last month. What is it with humans and drugs? Not to comment on their effects, but they’re obscenely expensive. As a vampire, I’ve earned a small fortune over the years, but I would much rather spend it on something else.
So, now I’m listening to SOAD’s last album, the one they’ve released before their band dissolved. I only take pride in two of my possessions. Those are my book collection and my audio system – the last was purchased as a gift I made myself for Christmas. I might be an antisocial loner and a vampire, but presents are presents. You can almost feel my grin in these words, I know.
Well, being a vampire does have its benefits nowadays. There is this natural repelling barrier that we give off. The people around us are not supernatural beings, but their senses tell them to keep their distance. For me, whose personality has never been the let’s-be-BFFs type, this is just a bonus. For other vampires it can get a little inconvenient. I, on other hand, am just fine.
That’s why nobody could have predicted the coming of a human in my life. Never. Yet that didn’t stop her from annoying me all the time.
LAILA
I am so going to kill that son of a bitch! What kind of father would make his own daughter go to a country whose name he can’t even spell right? And buy her an apartment in this area, as well. I swear, I saw some gangsters just around the block. What is this place?
I’m Laila, by the way. I moved here from NY. Well, was forced to move here, since my stupid father went missing. He only left me a letter with instructions to come to Romania. My mother was born here, so I have no trouble with the language. Unfortunately, she died when I was 10, leaving me alone with a lunatic.
Starting this fall, I’ll be attending classes at the University of Bucharest. I did look forward to going to college, but that was last year when things hadn’t been so messed up. How could he do this to me? I’m only 18-years-old, isn’t he afraid I’d get pregnant or something?
Putting that aside, everything’s just peachy.
Great, the elevator’s broken. Normally, I wouldn’t mind, but with a bunch of boxes to move, who could blame me? Ugh. Let’s just get this over with, I thought.
But as I tried to keep my balance, I got distracted. At the second floor, I heard music. I sighed. What crazy neighbors would I have? After double-checking the letter, I resigned and went on. My apartment was on the second floor, as well.
Just as I was passing by the place where that loud music was playing, I tripped. Yeah, leave it to me to be graceful.
And then it happened.
The music stopped right away and the door swung open.
I had never seen anyone so stunning. His eyes were grey with a hint of blue, with an evil glint to them. His hair was as black as coal. Tall, broad-shouldered, he stood there towering over me. He seemed so out of place, why, I can’t explain. A devilish grin spread across his face. Was he laughing at me? Oh my God.
I started recollecting myself off the pavement and felt the blood rush in my face.
“Are you moving in?” he asked me, his voice very steady and normal. Still, I couldn’t help, but feel rejected by this person. Rejected? The heat must be getting to me.
He seemed to sense my nervousness and grabbed my boxes for me.
“Seems like you’ll be living next door” he said. I just nodded. Again, I felt a wave of disappointment, as if I was being brushed off.
After he easily placed the boxes I struggled so much with, he turned towards me. His expression was bored, but mostly unreadable.
“You can leave now” I snapped. “Thank you” I then added embarrassed.
He just widened his eyes and the chuckled. Just what was so funny?
“Excuse me, why are you laughing?” I thought it better to be polite. After all, I would be living next door to him from now on. I wouldn’t want to be punished by his music every day.
“Nothing” he calmly answered. I had this strong urge to slap him. Why was I so on the edge around this person? Finally, he seemed to understand he was bothering me and left without saying another word.
Shortly enough, I heard that music again.
Welcome home, Laila.

* Note:
Special thanks to my best friend, Annie, who suggested I write about a vampire such as Fabian in the first place.

Will Be Continued Soon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bună Ziua!
Eu sunt Vlad, unul dintre membrii Radio Whisper, un radio anti-manele dedicat bloggerilor şi nu numai.
Am vizionat cu atenţie blogul tău şi vreau să spun că am fost foarte fascinat de ceea ce am găsit. Am fost atras de subiectele interesante şi de originalitatea articolelor. Felicitări ! Încep să îl citesc cu drag.
Noi promovăm la radio diferite articole ale bloggerilor, iar azi am promovat un articol de-al tău ; am specificat sursa articolului şi am deschis şi un subiect pe baza acestuia. Dacă doreşti, poţi să ne recomanzi orice articol şi noi îl vom promova.
Cu scuzele de rigoare pentru acest mesaj de tip spam,acest mesaj este dedicat tie si la cei care merita care ii citim aproape zi de zi.
Ne-ar face plăcere, de asemenea, să ştim că ai dori să ne susţii în acest proiect de radio şi să accepţi o eventuală colaborare.
Pe Radio Whisper se difuzează toate genurile de muzică, exceptând manele şi piesele necenzurate, avem şi câteva emisiuni, ştiri etc. Ne-am propus să realizăm un proiect mare, iar pentru asta avem nevoie de susţinerea şi ajutorul tău şi al celorlalţi colegi bloggeri. Dorim să creăm o echipă numeroasă, de oameni cu un talent aparte şi m-am gândit că, poate, ai vrea să ni te alături şi să colaborăm, binenţeles, pe unul dintre domeniile care îţi place. Dorim, de asemenea,sa iti acordam un scurt interviu. Pentru noi sunt importante ideile şi modul de a gândi al bloggerilor şi al ascultătorilor noştri.
Îţi mulţumesc pentru timpul acordat, iar acum îţi propun să adaugi linkul sau bannerul nostru pe blogul tău şi să ne dai add la id-ul ascultawhisper sau un email ascultawhisper@yahoo.com pentru a discuta mai multe.www.radiowhisper.com
Mulţumesc,Cu stimă Vlad!